What is sonews?
sonews is a RCF 3977 compliant NNTP Usenet Server. It is written in Java and uses a database management system as backend (currently PostgreSQL and MySQL). sonews is highly multithreaded and uses Java NIO asynchronous sockets to handle thousands of concurrent connections.
- NNTP (RFC 3977) Usenet news server
- Plugable backend (PostgreSQL, MySQL, CouchDB (in development), ...)
- New commands or backends can be integrated through plugins
- Tested with up to 30 000 concurrent connections on one machine
- Supports push and pull peering
- Plugins (3rd party Drupal frontend, Mailinglist gateway, ...)
This project hosts a small newsserver on its own, of course running with the most descent version of sonews. Use your Newsreader to connect to
Host: news.sonews.org Protocol: NNTP (default) Port: 119 (default)
Contact us if you want more groups or peering to another server.
Feel free to dig through the sources, report or fix bugs (if any...) or submit issues. Every help is welcome.